Some Kentish Gravestones
& other notes
Church M.I.s., Hinxhill
with index of names & places at end
Back to Kentish Gravestones
& other notes introduction
St Mary Church M.I.s., Hinxhill
noted by Helen Saint
1.[A1] Raised plot with headstone
(possibly fallen) depicting a hand holding a bunch of lilies with 'Tribute
of Love' inscription below. Masons mark: Russell Ashford on bottom right
corner of the raised grave. Sacred to the memory of Herbert William
BLASKETT died 12th June 1949 aged 81. Also of Constance Mary Blaskett wife
of the above died June 23rd 1938 aged 82 years. Reunited'.
2. [A2] Headstone. On reverse footstone inscribed P.D 1841, W.G.D.,
M.D. (This inscription faces the back of the headstone). However on the
other side of the footstone the inscription reads: T. Andrews 1808 - the
location of this deceased headstone is B6. Beneath here lies the
remains of Phoebe wife of Edward DRYLAND who died March 29th 1841 aged 72.
They had twelve children (viz.) Edward, Wm., Gold Martha, Sarah, Richard,
Mary, Margaret, Ann, Daniel, William, Frances, and George. Nine who are
living Martha, Sarah, Richard, Mary, Ann, Daniel, William, Francis, and
George. Go home dear husband and do not weep, Dear child don't shed a
tear, I am not gone but just before, To meet my Saviour dear. Also
Edward Dryland who died May 24th 1848 aged 81.
Footstone: W.G.D. on reverse of Dryland headstone.
3. [A3] Raised plot. Headstone with ivy engraving on the top corners
and 'Peace' in between. Masons mark: R.H. Russell Ashford can be seen in
the bottom right corner of grave plot. In loving memory of my beloved
wife Ada Mary GRANT at rest November 22nd 1948 aged 80. Rest in Peace.
Also William Thomas Grant husband of the above died 15th January 1955 aged
4. [A4] War Grave. Royal Air Force. 903163 Sergeant E.E.C. Holmes
Flight Engineer Royal Air Force 24th October 1942.
5. [A5] Pointed arch headstone inscribed I.H.S. top centre. In
loving memory of John GILBERT who departed this life on September 1st 1904
aged 84 years. Also of Mary Gilbert who entered in to rest December 17th
1889 aged 70 years. So he giveth his beloved sleep.
6. [A6] Headstone decorated with scrolls at top. Footstone marked with
initials T.B 1812 E.B. 18 [In the memory of] Thomas BROWN lived in
the parish of Wye who departed this life [in the year] 1812 aged 68?
years. Also of Ethelred daughter of the above Thomas Brown who departed
this life [in] [Cant]erbury Dec 18Aged 70 years.' Footstone marked
with initials T.B 1812 E.B. 18
7. [A7] Headstone with two footstones on reverse. The footstones are
concealed from view as they are facing the rear of the headstone.
In memory of George CLARKE [late of] Great Chart Yeoman who died 24th day
of December 1789 aged 68 years. Also Mary wife of the above who died 6th
day of April aged .
8. [A8] Headstone with scrolls at top. Footstone: C.A. 
Sacred memory of Chittenden ANDREWS [of this parish died 5 December 1831.]
Also wife [Susannah …..]
9. [A9] Headstone [John AMOS of this parish died July 7 1804 aged
48. He left surviving a widow, four sons and two daughters - viz. Richard,
Thomas, Elizabeth, John, William and Deborah Anne. Also] Elizabeth Amos
[wife of the above John Amos died] 9th [June 1833] aged 82 years.
10. [A10] Book shaped grave slab. Inscribed with the person particulars
on the left side and a quotation on the right. Mary Edith CRANE called
away July 1st 1958. Aged 5 Well done good and faithful servant.'
11. [A11] Headstone. Engraved with a scroll and a rose in the left
corner In loving memory of Bert Edward MILLS 17.8.1920 - 8.2.1990.
12. [A12] Headstone In loving memory of Frank Robert Manoah
NICKOLLS died 26th December 1974 aged 66 years. At Rest. Also his wife
Elise May died 12 June 1989 aged 82 years nee LUCKHURST.
13. [A13] Headstone engraved with I.H.S. in top centre. Two footstones
on reverse: M.J.S. 1881 & W.S. 1889 Affectionate remembrance of
Mary wife of William SMEED of Goodcheap Farm in this parish who died the
8th day of April 1881 aged 75 years. In hope of eternal life. Also
of William Smeed who died at Ashford December 11th 1889 aged 86 years.
14. [A14] Headstone. Footstone on reverse: M.C. 1791 [Mary wife of
Edward CHITTENDEN died 17 June 1791 in her 45th year. Also the above
Edward Chittenden died 2 May 1799 in his 69th year.]
15. [A15] Headstone. Footstone on reverse: D.C. 1802. Daniel
CHITTENDEN of this parish departed this life April 5th 1802 aged 80 years.
16. [A16] Headstone. Footstone on reverse: J.G. 1791In memory of
James GORHAM late of Aldington who died [26 June 1791 aged 24. Left issue
by Mary his wife two children viz James and Hester]
17. [A17] Headstone. Footstones on reverse: M.C. 1838 & A.C. 1822
In memory of Mary CHITTENDEN late of Brabourne. Relict of James GORHAM who
died 28th of February 1838 in the 72nd year of her age. Also of Edward
Andrew Chittenden son of James Chittenden and the above Mary who died 10th
of March 1822 in the 22nd year of his age.
18. [A18] Headstone in very poor condition. Footstone of reverse: J.M.
1868 NOTE: William May footstone next to churchyard main wall on north
side: inscribed W.M. 1870. Sacred to Thy Memory of William MAY who
[died September 18] 1870 [Also] Jane [wife of the] above who died August
10th 1868 aged 84 years.
19. [A19] Headstone with two footstones on reverse: M.T. 1882 & T.T.
1903 Here rests until the day dawns Mary the beloved wife of Thomas
TUCKER of Willesborough born July 21st 1814 died November 13th 1882. Also
the above named Thomas Tucker who died at Stockwell, London January 28th
1903 aged 86 years. 34 years Master East Ashford Union.
20. [B1] Headstone with flowers engraved at base. In loving memory
of William S. BROWNE died 18th February 1972 aged 87. And his daughter
Sheila Schmitt died 19th November 1973 aged 44. Interred Canada.
21. [B2] Headstone in bush Joseph FRYE of Ashford, Kent who died
January 30th 1878 aged 51 years. And of Eliza Deacon Frye his wife who
died January 11th 1891 aged 69. Also of their sons William Thomas December
20th 1869 aged 21 years. And John Joseph who died October 9th 1881 aged
31. Also Henry White son of the above who died at Marseilles March 26th
1885? aged 27 years.
22. [B3] Headstone, large and thick. In poor condition. Hourglass
depicted on top left and a skull on the top right. [Daniel CHITTENDEN
of this parish died December 18 1731 aged 42. Who left issue] by Martha
his wife [three children] viz: [Dan: Martha: and Edward. Also Martha late
wife of the above Daniel died December 6 1757] aged 58. [Who left issue by
her surviving husband three children viz:] Robert, Mary, [and] William.
23. [B4] Headstone Stephen STAINES and also Mary his wife of this
parish who died March 22nd 1769 aged 71 years. She died November 7th
. Aged 77 years. When winter age has seas'd our frame, there is
no returning sun, these painful years soon glide away and death declares
24. [B5] Headstone in poor condition. [James Crell CHITTENDEN son]
of John and Sarah Chittenden of [this] parish who died April [?] 1778
[aged] 9 months.
25. [B6] Raised white cross. I.H.S. engraved in centre of cross. Mary
wife of Thomas RICKETTS died June 26th 1887 aged 64 years. Buried on St.
Peter's Day. Loving memory our mother.
26. [B7] Headstone. Vault. Tombstone. Footstone: T.A. 1808 In a
vault beneath are interned the remains of Thomas ANDREWS late of
Willesborough Gent., Obt. the 10th day of May 1808 aged 73 years. He left
issue surviving by Susannah his second wife two sons and two daughters
(viz.) Onslow, Jemima, Caroline, and Benjamin. Also left surviving by
Eleanor his widow one son viz. Thomas.
27. [B8] Headstone and Footstone: T.A. 1794 In loving memory of
Thomas ANDREWS son of Thomas and Susannah Andrews of Willesborough died
July 13th 1791 aged 4 years 11 months. Dear friends lament me no more, I'm
gone but just a step before I'm gone from hence through Christ's love to
join the blessed train above my time on Earth was short with thee prepared
be to follow me. Also in memory of the above mentioned Susannah Andrews
28. [B9] Headstone with hourglass, skull and flowers depicted at the
top. Here lie the remains of Edward ANDREWS of this parish
Gent: who died May 18 1754 aged 79 years. Who left issue by Mary his wife
5 Sons & one Dau: Viz. Tho: Ed. Jon. Mary, Will: & Benj: Also Mary
of ye said Ed: and Dau: of Tho. HODGES Gent. died March 30th 1724 aged 45
29. [B10] Headstone with skull & crossed bones engraved in centre
top. A spade and pickaxe are engraved on either side at the top. [In
memory of Thomas ANDREWS who died the 18th of January 1773 aged 72 years
also Martha wife of the above died the 9th of September 1789 aged 62
years. Left issue one son and two daughters viz: Chittenden, Martha and
30. [B11] Headstone. Raised plot. 'Fondly Loved and Deeply Missed'
inscribed on the top. Stephen WHITEHEAD who died February 22nd 1882
aged 72 years. Elizabeth wife of the above who died November 30th 1883
aged 68 years. Too weak to pray but not too weak to trust Jesus Christ
the same yesterday to day and forever.
31. [B12] Headstone. In loving memory of John William MILLS
9.6.1917 - 15.1.1992.
32. [B13] Headstone. In loving memory of Edward J. ROWLAND 'Ted'
33. [B14] Footstone inscribed with F.W.H 1941 F[rederick]. W[illiam]
34. [B15] Headstone in bush. NOTE: Footstone is next to main churchyard
wall on north side inscribed: M.C. 1837 Sacred to the memory of Mary
daughter of Daniel and Frances CHITTENDEN of Blackwall in this parish who
died February 9th 1837 aged 25 years + Inscription.
35. [B16] Tomb surrounded by rails. A raised cross is on top of the
tomb. In memory of Thomas ANDREWS of Canterbury Surgeon who died
August 6th 1864 aged 59.
36. [B17] Headstone. Vault. Footstone E.A. 1809. Sacred to the
memory of Edward ANDREWS of Folkstone [sic] in this county Gent.,
who departed this life June the 18th 1809 aged 75 years.
37. [B18] Headstone with a skull and crossbones engraved in the top
centre. Inscription could not be read
38. [B19] Headstone. Engraved with an endless snake crowned and an
hourglass. Here lieth the body of Christopher ELVEY of this parish
Gent. who died 19 of October 1714 in the 56 year of his age. Also the
remains of Mary his wife [she died ye 8 of January 1768 in the 93 year of
39. [B20] Headstone. Engraved with a Cherubs face, wings and trumpets.
In Memory of John WORGER late of Wye who died Feb. 27th 1768 in ye 80th
year of his Age. Also near this place lieth his two Wives & 5
Children. Two wives and five children are buried near him though no
40. [B21] Headstone. Scrolls, Death's Skull and Wings engraved. Here
lieth the body of Elizabeth COVENEY the widdow of Tho. Coveney of Hinxhill
who departed this life ye 18th day of August 1687 in ye 55th year of her
41. [C1] Altar Tomb decorated with the Wightwick Family Crest labelled
'Wightwick of Plumpton'. On the east end: 'The said George WIGHTWICK
died June the 4th 1749 aged 66 years.' On south side of altar tomb:
'George, son of the said George Wightwick died February 16 1749 aged 28
years.' On south side of altar tomb: 'Frances daughter of ye said George
and Frances Wightwick died January 28 1749 aged 35 years.' On the north
side: 'Frances wife of the said George Wightwick died July 31 1726 aged
32.' On the north side: 'Mary daughter of George Wightwick, gentleman and
Frances his wife died November 24 17 aged 7 months.' On the top of the
tomb: 'his life … 1773 aged 63'.
42. [C2] Headstone [Here lyeth] ye body of Robert WORGER of ye
parish & Judeth his wife he died April [15?] 1713 aged 57 years. She
died March 21st 1725 aged 57 years. They left issue 6 sons & 2
daughters: Eliz., Thos., John, Robt., Stephn., Judeth, Richd. &
43. [C3] Headstone with two cherubs heads and wings. In Memory of
Thomas SUTTON he died December 30th 1775 in his 63rd year of his age. He
left issue 4 sons and 2 daughters viz: Judith, Rebecca, and William by a
former wife. Thomas, John and Daniel by the latter. He was a kind husbd.
and a tender father, a good Neighbour and sincere friend.
44. [C4] Headstone In memory of Susanna relict of Thomas SUTTON
late of Hampton who died 9 January 1801 aged 68. Left issue 3 sons Thomas,
John and Daniel.
45. [C5] Headstone. Footstone on Reverse: J.S. 1785 & J.S. 1786
In memory of John SUTTON late of Elham who died Jany.20th 1785 aged 76
years. Also of Jane his wife she died Decr. 10th 1786 aged 79 years. They
left issue five daughters Elizabeth, Mary, Anne, Jane & Rebecca.
46. [C6] Headstone In memory of Stephen HERITAGE late of Broadmead
in the parish of Folkestone who died September the 2nd 1828 aged 67 years.
Also John Heritage father of the above who died February the 24th 1795
Aged 64 years. Likewise Mary wife of John Heritage who died November the
1st 1826 aged 91 years.
47. [C7] Headstone with cherubs face with wings and trumpets. A spade
and pick axe are depicted on the top right and a spade is depicted on the
left. Footstone inscribed with J. M. 1773 In memory of John MOORE late
of the parish of Hinxhill. He died 22 June 1773 aged 61 years. He left
issue by Mary his wife 4 children 3 sons & 1 daughter: Elizabeth,
David, Stephen & Will.
48. [C8] Headstone as a book with Stephen's details on the right and
Jane's details on the left. Engraving of a skull on the top left and a
book encircled by a serpent. In memory of Jane MOORE wife of Stephen
Moore daughter of John and Jane GOLDING who died October 29 1755 aged 62.
In memory of Stephen Moore late of this parish who died May [ye 8th] 1778
aged  years.
49. [C9] Stone coffin with a raised cross flory. Noted by Leland as
Medieval & by Fauscett as Ancient.
50. [C10] Headstone In loving memory of Alfred CHITTENDEN who died
February 16th 1890 aged 52 years. His end was peace. Also of Mary
wife of the above who died July 18th 1894 aged 57.
51. [D1] Headstone. Footstone inscribed G.K. 1883 In memory of
George KINGSLAND late of this parish who died at Willesborough August 11th
1883 aged 84 years of age.
52. [D2] Flat Tomb In memory of Stephen FINN late of Willesborough
died November 28th 1871 aged 59 years. His end was peace. Also Mary
widow of the late Stephen Finn who died October 30th 1891 aged 85 years.
53. [D3] Headstone In memory of Thomas WHITEWOOD who died March
21st 1881 aged 68 years. Also of Thomas Edward & Walter John (
children of the above) who died in their infancy. He left surviving
Frances his widow, and two children: Margaret Kemp & Frances. Yea
though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no
evil for thou art with me.
54. [D4] Headstone inscribed with Andrews, Mason, Ashford in bottom
right. Footstones on back, G.B. 1799 and H.B. 1827. To the memory of
George BRENCHLEY of this parish who departed this life June 17th 1799 aged
59 years. Also of Hannah his wife who died 24th January 1827 aged 84. They
had issue 13 children namely: Thomas, Ruth, Edward, James, David,
Hannah, George, Elizabeth, Anna Maria, John, Mary, William & Daniel.
Seven of whom survived them viz: Edward, James, David, Hannah, Elizabeth,
John and William. Here lieth those who were in life a loving father and
a virtuous wife free from env, hatred, and ambition happy are they who
died in their condition.
55 [D5] Headstone. Footstone on back inscribed E.B. 1851. Sacred to
the memory of Elizabeth BRENCHLEY Spinster late of the parish of
Willesborough who died November 10th 1851 aged 75 years.
56. [D6] Headstone with footstone on reverse inscribed S.B. 1880
Sacred to the memory of Sarah the beloved wife of Charles BULL of
Willesborough who departed this life June 19th 1880 aged 68 years. I
live by the faith of the son of God who loved me and gave himself for me.
57. [D7] Headstone engraved with a rose plant at the centre top. Two
footstones inscribed H.G. 1892 and R.G. 1901 Ruth wife of Thomas
GILBERT who fell asleep April 29th 1901 aged 53. Also of Henry son of the
above died December 12th 1892 aged 8 months.
58. [D8] Headstone engraved with a fan at the centre top. Footstone
S.S. 1867 Sacred to the memory of Sarah SMEED (of this parish) who
died July 20th 1867 aged 86. Leaving issue three sons and one daughter
(viz.) Charles, Thomas, John and Sarah. Farewell dear children a long
farewell for we shall meet no more. Until we meet with Christ to dwell on
Zions happy shore.
59. [D9] Raised cross headstone In loving memory of Harriett
GILBERT born May 10th 1879 died July 26th 1880. I, lovely, priceless,
little gem placed in the Saviours diadem.
60. [D10] Headstone. Footstone on reverse W.B. 1791 In memory of
William BARRETT of this parish who died July 3rd 1791 aged 63 years. Who
left issue by Mary his wife two daughters viz: Susanna and Mary.
61. [D11] Headstone In memory of Mary wife of William BARRETT late
of this parish who departed this life 22nd September 1800 aged 76 years. Adieu
my friends and children dear … Be God … the world and … No more …
shall I see. But hope in life …'
62. [D12] Headstone. Footstone on reverse J.W. 1805 In memory of
Joseph WRAIGHT of the parish of Little Chart who departed this life
[November] the 2nd 1805 aged 24 years. An example worthy of the imitation
of youth. [Inscription Illegible]
63. [D13] Headstone with fallen footstone. In memory of Elizabeth
the relict of [Joseph COLLINS died August 31 1787] aged 68 years ... left
issue 3 … [Illegible]
64. [D14] Headstone. Footstone J.W. 1826 Sacred to the memory of
Judith WHITEWOOD wife of Thomas Whitewood late of this parish who departed
this life July the 7th 1826 aged 80 years.
65. [D15] Headstone. Footstone T.W. 1826 Sacred to the memory of
Thomas WHITEWOOD late of this parish who departed this life February the
9th 1826 aged  years.
66. [D16] Headstone with engraved cross on the left side. In loving
memory of Mark Benny WHITLEY 1930 - 2001. A dear husband father and
grandfather always in our thoughts and hearts. All is well. Josephine Ann
Whitley 1940 - 2004 loving mother. Together again for eternity.
67. [D17] Altar tomb with Iron Railings In memory of Jeffery
MORPHEW of Ashley House in Cheriton near Folkestone formerly of this
parish who died 29th August 1873 aged 75 years. In memory of Elizabeth
wife of Jeffery Morphew who died 22nd July 1868 aged 75 years.
68. [D18] Altar tomb with Iron Railings In memory of The Revd. John
PHILPOTT M.A. Rector of Hinxhill 1837- 52 and Rector of Hinxhill with
Brook 1852 - 95 who died 28th February 1895 Aged 86 years. Also of
Elizabeth wife of Revd. John Philpott who died 6th February 1878 aged 69.
Thomas Philpott died 1st November 1865 aged 55. Elizabeth Hoile his wife
died 28 April 1881 Aged 73. In memory of Elizabeth relict of Thomas
Philpott of Canterbury died at Hothfield July 15th 1869 in the 92nd year
of her age having survived her husband 51 years. Looking for that
blessed hope and the Glorious Appearing of the Great God and our Saviour
In memory of Elizabeth relict of Thomas Philpott of Canterbury died at
Hothfield July 15th 1869 in the 92nd year of her age having survived her
husband 51 years. Looking for that blessed hope and the Glorious
Appearing of the Great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ. In memory of
The Revd. John Philpott M.A. Rector of Hinxhill 1837- 52 and Rector of
Hinxhill with Brook 1852 - 95 who died 28th February 1895 Aged 86 years.
Also of Elizabeth wife of Revd. John Philpott who died 6th February 1878
aged 69. Mary Ann Thorrton Born August 9th 1806 Died August 17th 1893.
69. [D19] Flat altar tomb To the memory of George Ansell MURTON
formerly of St. Leonards in the county of Sussex who died at Willesboro'
the 8th day of April 1854 [in the 47th year of his age]. Blessed and
holy is he that hath part in the first [and] best.
70. [E1] Altar tomb with brick built sides and a flat stone on the top.
A footstone located on the right hand side of the tomb inscribed: J.S.
1829 belongs with John Steddy Plot E Number 5. Here rests in hope of a
blessed Resurrection the body of Susanna ye daughter of Edward ANDREWS of
ye parish gent., who married to her first husband ye Revd Mr George JANUS
of Littlebourne in the county by who she had one daughter who married
Doctor John GRAY a very eminent phycisian of the city of Canterbury. The
said Susanna married secondly Thomas BACK late of ye parish Gent., who
died June 11th 1711 and left one son Thomas who lived to be 13 years of
age. (She had a considerable share in those troubles and difficulties
which attends humanity) but after a life of good conduct with relation
both to temporal and spiritual matters, died as much like a Christian as
she lived and into ye hands of her God, to whom she had long paid a
constant devotion, she meekly resigned her humble soul November 22nd 1746
aged 69 years.
71. [E2] Headstone with two skulls engraved either side at top. Also a
crossed pickaxe is depicted in the centre top. Here lieth buried the
body of Thomas BACK son of Thomas Back late of this parish Gent., and of
Susanna. He departed this life Febr. 27th 1723 aged 13 years.
72. [E3] Headstone with two skulls engraved either side at top. Also a
scythe and an arrow are crossed in the centre top. Here lieth buried
the body of Thomas BACK late of this parish Gent who left issue surviving
by Susanna his wife one son. He departed this life June 11th day 1711 aged
73. [E4] Headstone. F.H. Russell. Ashford In loving memory of
Nathaniel HILLS. At Rest. Nov. 1st 1955 aged 82.
74. [E5] Headstone with a fan/sun engraved at top centre. His footstone
is at E1 inscribed: J.S 1829 to the right hand side of the Back tomb.
Sacred to the memory of John STEDDY late of this parish who departed this
life the 30th day of March 1829 aged 68 years. Also of Mary relict of the
above who departed this life the 13th day of September 1846 aged 83 years.
75. [E6] Fallen Headstone. Footstone engraved A.H.  Sacred to
the memory of John STEDDY late of this parish who departed this life the
30th day of March 1829 aged 68 years. Also of Mary relict of the above who
departed this life the 13th day of September 1846 aged 83 years,
76. [E7] Headstone. F. H. Russell, Ashford. Footstone engraved W.H.
1870 Sacred to the memory of Ann daughter of William and Ann HILLS of
Naccolt who died December 26th 1894 aged 77 years. The Lord your God
hath given you rest. Joshua 1.13
77. [E8] Headstone. Footstone engraved A.H. 1862 Sacred to the
memory of William HILLS of Naccolt who died January 6th 1870 aged 82
78. [E9] Tomb [no railings] [James] JEFFREY late of Naccolt, [Wye,
who died at Smarden December 5th 1872 aged 55.] Our times are in thy
79. [E10] Fallen Headstone with I.H.S. engraved at the top with the
words 'Watch and Pray' surrounding it, The lettering is all in red for all
text on the grave stone. Beneath is a flat tomb. Emily the beloved
wife of Richard HILLS of Naccolt Farm, Wye, who died July 28th 1875 aged
49 years. Awake thou that sleepeth arise from the dead and Christ shall
give thee light. Ephesians 5.14.V.
80. [E11] Fallen Headstone with I.H.S. engraved at the top with the
words 'Thy will be Done surrounding it'. The IHS is in red text. In
loving remembrance of William Henry only child of Richard and Emily HILLS
of Naccolt Farm, Wye, who died Febry. 27th 1874 in his ninth year.
81. [E12] Fallen Headstone. In shared raised plot with Harriett Smith.
In loving memory of Sally CHAPMAN who passed away May 16th 1917. Rest
82. [E13] Headstone. Masons Mark: F.H. Russell. Ashford. In shared
raised plot with Sally Chapman. In loving memory of Harriett SMITH who
passed away Nov. 22nd 1923 aged 84. Rest in peace.
83. [E14] Flat tomb with headstone and rails. Headstone engraved with
I.H.S. at the top with the words 'He taketh away' surrounding it.
Richard HILLS late of Naccolt Farm, Wye, died May 23rd 1893 aged 79. Be
ye ready for in such an hour as ye think not the son of man cometh. Matt
84. [E15] Book headstone. Elizabeth Posingham inscription is on the
left and Elizabeth Green on the right. Top of headstone is two skulls, one
on either side, with flowers engraved two in the centre top and one on
each side. Here lieth ye body of Elizabeth wife of George POSINGHAM
late of Bethersden who died Aug the 18th 1741 aged 57 years. Here lieth
therin the body of Elizabeth GREEN who died 14th of May 1745 aged 91
85. [E16] Flat tomb with headstone and rails. Headstone engraved with
IHS at the top with the words. In loving remembrance of Henry HILLS
late of Naccolt Farm, Wye, died 4th May 1904 aged 74 years. Our
sufficiency is of God. H.Corinthians III.C.5V
86. [E17] Headstone with ivy decoration top centre. In loving
memory of our dear mother Julia NEWTON who departed this life June 2nd
1917 aged 62 years. Safe in the arms of Jesus.
87. [E18] Altar tomb. Hear: Lyeth: the: Body: of: [George]:
HOMESBYE: the: son: of: Tho: Homesbye: buried: December: the: 16th: 1688:
in: the: 69th: year: of: his: age.
88. [E19] Raised stone cross. Mary Hoile KENNETT born March 19th
1816 Died Decr. 1st 1891.
89. [F1] Flat tomb decorated with a cross in top centre. Eva Minnia
Georgina BILLINGTON only surviving daughter of Constance and George Moyle
Billington Late Lieutenant Colonel 6th Inskilling Dragoons Born 19th
September 1874 Died 16th November 1949. Ex umbirs et Imaginibus in
90. [F2] Raised plot with Raised Stone Cross headstone. Eileen
Marguerite Wyndham GREEN called to rest April 14th 1952 R.I.P.
91. [F3] Large raised plot. Headstone shaped like a scroll at head of
the plot. Wedged block at foot of plot containing Mabel Miles inscription.
In lasting and loving memory of Alfred Henry MILES past over Feb. 17th
1943 aged 30 years. Also Alfred Miles called to rest June 18th 1956 aged
79. Mabel Gertrude Miles wife of Alfred Miles called to rest June 10th
1967 aged 90.
92. [F4] Raised plot with a pillar in the centre. Masons Mark: Russell,
Ashford inscribed on bottom left corner marker.
In loving memory of Clementina Lucy MILES at rest September 28th 1959.
93. [F5] Raised plot with a cross headstone. On plinth at foot of plot
Gwenllian Amy GREEN called to rest on 12th June 1940 R.I.P. Richard Harry
Green called to rest 6th May 1942 R.I.P. Graham Harry Wyndham Green
94. [F6] Raised plot with a mounted cross flory headstone. In
loving memory of Lilian Delmar LINDLEY born 25th September 1865 passed
onward 6th September 1933. Vidimus Stellam Eives.
95. [F7] Headstone In loving memory of Mabel Joan TETLEY who died
on the 25th September 1972 aged 68 years. Also of her beloved husband
Joseph Wand Tetley died 25th September 1988 aged 90 years. Reunited.
96. [F8] Book headstone on raised plot. Headstone inscribed with a
To the dear memory of Herbert Charles Wilson ALLINSON Rector of this
parish for 23 years who died 20th Dec. 1953 aged 81. And Florence Ann[e]
his cherished wife reunited 15th March 19.
97. [F9] Memorial plaque mounted on bench In memory of Rosemary
CLOVER Treasurer and Churchwarden. 3 August 1929 - 27 June 2006.
98. [F10] Headstone In loving memory of Margerie Ethel SWAFFER who
died 14th September 1992 aged 83 years. Also of May Alice Swaffer who died
2nd August 1993 aged 89 years.
99. [G1] Footstone inscribed W.M. 1870 by churchyard wall. NOTE:
Belongs with William MAY in Plot A Number 18.
100. [G2] Footstone inscribed M.C. 1837 by churchyard wall. NOTE:
Belongs with Mary CHITTENDEN in Plot B Number 15.
101. [G3] Raised plot with memorial urn in centre. Masons Mark: Russell
inscribed on bottom left corner marker. In memory of Miss Ethel
LUCKHURST who died on Nov. 3rd 1958 aged 77.
102. [G4] Raised plot. Masons Mark: Russell inscribed on bottom right
marker. James LUCKHURST of Naccolt Farm who died Dec. 19th 1939 aged
52 years. Peace perfect peace.
103. [G5] Headstone In loving memory of John George SWAFFER who
died Dec 7th 1938 aged 69. Also his wife Esther Martha who died April 14th
1975 aged 97.
104. [G6] Large raised plot with raised stone cross In loving
memory of Eleanor Jessy wife of Rev. J.N. ARKELL M.A. Rector of this
parish fell asleep November 12th 1923. Also of Rev. John Norris Arkell
M.A. for 33 years Rector of this parish died October 1st 1928.
105. [G7] Raised plot with celtic raised cross. In loving memory of
Rev. Henry Theakston YOUNG M.A. Rector of this parish died Aug 10 1930.
Also Florence beloved wife of the above died March 24 1951 aged 73 years.
106. [G8] Granite headstone with engraved ivy on left and right top
corners. In loving memory of Winifred L. GIBBON (Nee LUCKHURST) who
died on the 21st March 1968 aged 72 years. Also of her husband J. Bert L.
Gibbon who died on the 1st April 1970 aged 77 years.
107. [G9] Headstone In loving memory of Phillip William MILLS
13.7.1893 - 9.6.1971 and his wife Alice nee Luckhurst 6.1.1883 -
108. [G10] Headstone In memory of Rosetta GATES passed away January
28th 1981 aged 87. Also Thomas Edward Gates passed away July 30th 1981
109. [G11] Headstone with two angels top left and right with a centre
relief of two clasped hands. In loving memory of our dear son &
brother Frederick William HILLS who departed this life February 15th 1941
aged 42 years. Until we meet again.
110. [G12] Headstone next to Frederick William Hills Arthur Richard
HILLS died 18th November 1990 aged 94 years.
111. [G13] Grave marker inscribed 'In Loving Memory' [David BOSWELL
aged 72 years 11 October 1941]
112. [G14] Headstone. Ivy engraved on left of headstone, with RESTING
inscribed top centre. Raised plot. In loving memory of Henry Thomas
BLASKETT May 13th 1940. Harriet his wife Aug. 27th 1938. Florence Louise
their daughter Nov. 5th 1945.
113. [G15] Headstone with chain-like engravings at either side. Raised
plot. In loving memory of Philip second son of Walter and Ada BRUNDETT
died 9 November 1945 aged 84 years. Also Edward Brundrett O.B.E. his
brother accidentally killed 23 June 1965 aged 64 years and his wife Mary
114. [H1] Headstone in raised plot. In memory of Walter BRUNDETT of
Court Lodge died 27 November 1945 aged 85 years. Ada his wife died 8
December 1931 aged 59 years. Robert their sixth son killed in action at
Bardia N. Africa 3 January 1941 aged 33 years. George their eighth son
died in bush fire at Rubicon MTN Australia 10 January 1939 aged 28 years.
James Edward grandson (son of Frederick) killed in action at Savignon
Italy 30 September 1944 aged 23 years.
115. [H2] Headstone engraved with several symbols In memory of
Frank BLASKETT died April 18th 1969 aged 76 years. Also of Henry Thomas
Blaskett died Jan. 28th 1974 aged 76 years.
116. [H3] Headstone in raised plot. In loving memory of my dear
wife Jane Elizabeth NICOLL who passed peacefully away Sept 2nd 1940 aged
72. Also William her beloved husband who fell asleep March 5th 1952 aged
117. [H4] Book headstone on raised plot with flower urn in centre.
'Love is immortal' inscribed at the bottom of the plot. Sacred to the
memory of Beatrice Jane the beloved wife of Frederick MARSH who passed
away Jan 8th 1938 aged 33 years. Also of John Frederick our beloved son
who passed away in Fayid, Egypt serving in A.C.C. April 17th 1951 aged 19
118. [H5] Silver birch memorial plaque in slate. In loving memory
of Celia REYNOLDS devoted friend and secretary of St. Mary's Hinxhill.
119. [H6] Plaque stone In loving memory of James HART and his wife
Annie Hart aged 62 and 83.
120. [H7] Headstone with a rose engraved at the top centre. Masons mark
F.H. Russell. In loving memory of Thomas GILBERT who fell asleep April
24 1924 aged 77. His end was peace.
121. [H8] Raised plot with granite sides. Flower urn in centre. In
loving memory of John LUCKHURST at rest December 20th 1959 aged 80 years.
Also of Mary Elizabeth Luckhurst at rest August 10th 1940 aged 65 years. Re-United.
122. [H9] Lynchgate memorial Erected by his sons & daughters to
the memory of ye Rev.d John PHILPOTT rector of this parish 1837 to 1895
123. [H10] Headstone with engraved rose in top centre. In loving
memory of William HILLS died October 28th 1919 aged 87 years. Also Ellen
wife of the above died September 30th 1923 aged 86 years.
124. [i1] Polished headstone with recessed grave plot also in polished
stone. Hugh HALDIN 17th November 1918 - 10th June 1968 of Court Lodge,
125. [i2] Raised cross headstone. In loving memory of John
LUCKHURST of Naccolt Farm who passed away February 19th 1915 aged 67
years. Also of Maria his wife passed away Nov. 8th 1938 aged 85 years. Thy
will be done.
126. [i3] Headstone G.B.M. TURNER 1924-2005.
127. [i4] Raised cross headstone. Masons mark: Russell Ashford In
loving memory of George William infant son of J.C. & E.M. SWAFFER (The
Elms) died December 13th 1901. Thy will be done.
128. [i5] Heartshaped headstone with lily of the valley engraved along
the bottom half of the stone. Cherished memories of a devoted and
dearly loved wife, mum, and nanny Patricia Margaret MITCHELL 'Pat' taken
from us, but never forgotten. 12th July 1991. What is lovely never dies
but passes into other loveliness.
129. [i6] Pointed arch headstone with a cross engraved at the top
centre. In memory of Joan Marjorie POWELL 25th August 1911 - 20th
December 1996. Loved & sadly missed by her children, grandchildren,
and great grandchildren.
130. [i7] Headstone with a cross in the centre and roses on either side
at the top. Cherished memories of Robert BOSWELL a loving husband,
beloved father & grandad 9.10.1917 - 23.3.2003. Always loved, never
131. [i8] Pointed arch headstone with ivy engraved at the top.
David John MASON 25th March 1944 - 15th April 2005. Forever in out
132. [i9] Raised cross with I.H.S. engraved in the centre of the cross.
On the plinth below 'At Rest' is engraved on the first tier of three. In
memory of Elizabeth, the dearly beloved wife of William BAILEY of Plumpton
Farm in this parish who died October 12th 1899 aged 51. William Bailey who
died June 27th 1906 aged 67.
133. [i10] Cross flory raised. In ever loving memory of George
Malcolm the dearly loved son of Malcolm & Florence MALLION. Born 1st
June 1914 died 16th Jan.y. 1918.
134. [i11] Headstone engraved with lilies and oak leaves at the top.
Raised plot with footstones inscribed: C.M. 1898 and W.M. 1910 In
affectionate remembrance Celia, wife of William MALLION, who died at the
Court Lodge in this parish February 28th 1898 aged 59 years. Also of the
above named William Mallion who died January 22nd 1910 aged 79 years.
135. [i12] Headstone in a raised plot. In affectionate memory of
Ann MALLION daughter of William and Cecilia Mallion died 2nd February 1942
aged 84 years.
136. [i13] Headstone in a raised plot with lilies engraved on the top
right and left corners of the stone. 'In Memoriam' is engraved at the top
of the headstone. Masons mark: F.H. Russell Ashford. In loving memory
of Sarah CHITTENDEN died October 3rd 1911 aged 52 years. Also of George
beloved husband of the above died November 12th 1933 aged 74 years.
Interned in Thanington Churchyard. At Rest.
137. [i14] Pointed arch headstone. In loving memory of Anne the
wife of John GOLDUP who died April 16th 1909. Aged 71 years. On that
happy Easter morning all the graves their dead restore father, sister,
child, and mother meets once more. Also John husband of the above died
November 6th 1925 aged 86 years. Thy will be done.
Interior of the Church
138. [Intr1] Western Tower - Wooden Plaque Benefaction to Hinxhill.
Martha WADE gave by will dated Aug. 7th 1722 an annuity of forty shillings
out of lands in this parish & Wye to the use of the poor not receiving
alms vested in the churchwardens and overseers 1825.
139. [Intr2] Western Tower - Stained glass window on west wall of west
tower In loving memory of Lilian Delmar LINDLEY who passed onward 6th
140. [Intr3] Nave - Rectangular Floor stone slab with brass plaque
mounted in the centre of the slab. Located in centre aisle. [Here
lieth Robert GASELEY lernedman which departid to God ye VII day of March
the yere of our lord god MCCCCC & XIIII on whose sowle jhu have mercy
141. [Intr4] Nave - Rectangular Floor stone slab with no inscription
remaining. Located at Porch entrance. ILLEGIBLE
142. [Intr5] Nave - Square Floor stone slab with no inscription
remaining. Located at Porch entrance. ILLEGIBLE
143. [Intr6] Nave - Rectangular stone slab with remains of a family
crest at the top centre. Located in centre aisle. [… body of Kenett
BACK … sometime Captane of ye trained bands who was ye loving husband of
to wives and had issue by … en six … ents] of his [ … sons and
daughters (viz.)] Thomas, [ John, Mary, Thomasine, Margaret and] Elizabeth
[and departed this life the 72nd year of his age ... bur. 13 March 1657,
Said to be 30 years 9 November 1622 lic. to marry Elizabeth BLYEBELT
daughter of John Bull BRABENE Gent and 36 20 October 1628 lic. to marry
Margaret TOMPSON of Elham.]
144. [Intr7] Nave - Rectangular stone slab decorated with an endless
chain as a border. Here lieth ye body of Thomas COVENEY of this parish
who died the 31st of May in the Yeare of Our Lord 1687 in ye 69th yeares
of his age. He also lieth the body of John the son of Thomas Coveney who
died the 5th day of Feb. 1694 in the 32nd yeares of his age. Here lieth
the son of John and Martha Coveney who died 7th Sep. 1696 in the second
yeares of [of his] age. Here also lieth interred ye body of Martha wife of
Thomas Coveney late wife of Edward WADE of Ashford Gent. who died January
ye 25 1722 aged 59 years.
145. [Intr8] Nave - Black rectangular stone with family crest at top
centre. Here lieth interred the body of Elizabeth COVENEY only
daughter of John Coveney late of this parish Gent. and Martha his wife who
died the 27th of September Anno Dm 1707 aged 14 years.
146. [Intr9] Nave - Stained glass window on south wall of nave. In
memory of Rev. John PHILPOTT M.A. born 1808 died 1895 Rector of this
parish for 58 years erected by his sons-in-law.
147. [Intr10] Chancel - Stone marble plaque on south wall In memory
of Thomas PHILPOTT of Canterbury Esq.re. A Magistrate and Alderman of that
City, who, after an active and useful life was taken to his rest the 1st
day of November 1865 aged 55 years. Also of Elizabeth Hoile his wife who
died 28th April 1881 aged 75.
148. [Intr11] Chancel - Memorial Plaque to First World War This
tablet is erected to the Glory of God and in memory of the men who went
from this parish and who gave their lives at the call of duty. Fred
BOSWELL, James MONK, Herbert OSBOURNE. To the help of the Lord against the
Memorial Plaque to Second World War The World War 1939-1945 To the
Glory of God and in honourable memory of the men of this parish who died.
Ernest HOLMES, Alfred Henry MILES and William Frank POSSE
149. [Intr12] Chancel - Stone rectangular floor slab ILLEGIBLE
150. [Intr13] Chancel - Stained glass window in the chancel south wall.
In loving memory of Elizabeth Wife of Revd. John PHILPOTT M.A. who died at
the Rectory 6th Febry. 1878 Aged 69.
151. [Intr14] Sanctuary - Tomb with the life size figures of Robert
EDOLPH and his wife Cicily kneeling. Family crests of Edolph, BROWNE and
BARROW are displayed above the figures and an epitaph below.
152. [Intr15] Sanctuary - Stained glass window on the east wall In
memory of Elizabeth Murton CHALMERS wife of David Chalmers and daughter of
the Revd. John PHILPOTT a rector of this parish born at the Rectory 1840
married here 1867 died at Redhall near Edinburgh 1870 erected by her
153. [Intr16] North Chancel - Stone rectangular floor slab An[ne
the daughter of Nicholas and Elisabeth SAWKINS born March] 22 [1656 and
died the] 25 [of] Sep[tember 1658.]
154. [Intr17] North Chancel - Stained glass window on east side of the
north chancel. Thomas John STARTUP Died 1878 Aged 65.
155. [Intr18] North Chancel - Stained glass windows on north side of
north chancel. To the glory of god and in loving memory of David
CHALMERS who died ar Redhall Mid Lothian 2 May 1899 aged 79. Erected by
156. [Intr19] Nave - Stained glass windows on north side of
nave. Placed here on the Rev. John PHILPOTT M.A. Rector of this parish
since 1837 completing the 80th year of his age on 17th December 1888.
157. [Int20] Nave - Stone plaque on north wall of nave. In loving
memory of Robert Walter HOUCHIN C. St. J. of Hinxhill Court 18th May 1916
to 19th July 1978 Sometime Churchwarden of this parish.
158. [Intr21] Nave - Stained glass window on the west wall of the nave.
This is a humble thanksgiving Almighty God for preserving the life of
Captain Graham Harry Wyndham GREEN M.C. Seaforth Highlanders who served
through the Great War 1914-1918 and was twice wounded. Erected by his
father and mother.
Sources used include Leland Duncan and other inscriptions taken,
Hinxhill Parish Records transcribed by K.F.H.S., C. Mills Churchyard Map
PLEASE NOTE: data entered in [square brackets] has been obtained by the
sources above and not from the grave itself.
ANDREWS 8, 26-29, 35, 36,
BACK 70-72, 143
BARRETT 60, 61
BLASKETT 1, 112, 115
BOSWELL 111, 130, 148
BRENCHLEY 54, 55
BROWNE 20, 151
BRUNDETT 113, 114
BULL 56, 143
CHALMERS 152, 155
CHITTENDEN 8, 14, 15, 17,
22, 24, 29, 34, 50, 100, 136
COVENEY 40, 144, 145
Delmar 94, 139
GILBERT 5, 57, 59, 120
GORHAM 16, 17
GREEN 84, 90, 93, 157
HILLS 33, 76, 77, 79, 80, 83,
85, 109, 110, 123
Hoile 88, 147
HOLMES 4, 148
LINDLEY 94, 140
LUCKHURST 12, 101,102,
106, 107, 121, 125
MAY 18, 99
MILES 91, 92, 148
MILLS 11, 31, 107
MOORE 47, 48
PHILPOTT 68, 122, 146, 147,
150, 152, 156
SMEED 13, 58
STEDDY 70, 74, 75
SWAFFER 98, 103, 127
WADE 138, 144
WHITEWOOD 53, 64, 65
WORGER 39, 42
Wyndham 90, 93, 157
Ashford 13, 21, 144
Bardia N. Africa 114
Canterbury 6, 35, 68, 70, 147
Ashley House 67
Elham 45, 143
Fayid, Egypt 117
Great Chart 7
Court Lodge 114, 124, 134
Goodcheap Farm 13
Hinxhill Court 157
Plumpton Farm 132
Hinxhill The Elms 127
Little Chart 62
Naccolt 76-80, 83, 85,
Naccolt Farm 102, 125
Redhall nr Edinburgh 152, 155
Rubicon MTN Australia 114
Savignon, Italy 114
St. Leonards, Sussex 69
Stockwell, London 19
Thanington Churchyard 136
Willesborough 19, 26, 27, 51,
52, 55, 56, 67
Wye 6, 39, 138
6th Inskilling Dragoons 89
Seaforth Highlanders 157
trained bands 143
Captain 143, 157
Lieutenant Colonel 89
Royal Air Force. 4
Alderman of that City 147
bush fire 114
Churchwarden 9, 157
East Ashford Union 19.
Back to Kentish Gravestones
& other notes introduction
This website is constructed
by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be
to gratefully received
so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as
possible. Please send details too email@example.com