Aspects of Kentish Local History

Home
News & Events
  Publications Archaeological
Fieldwork
Local & Family
History
Information
by Parish


Victoria County History of Kent Vol. 3  1932  Romano-British Kent - Military History Page 44

the left leg. It is good work of its kind, and may be called either a Venus or, with greater likelihood, a nymph; but it was probably mere decoration rather than a cult-statue. Many other objects, including building-debris and several CL.BR tiles, have been found here and hereabouts. Mention may be made of a ring of base white metal bearing a sard intaglio set in a collet of gold and engraved with the Greek letters HPAKAΔHC and a horse.67
   (6) In 1915, at the corner of Market Lane and Queen Street, the Golden Canister grocerís shop and the two next houses were rebuilt. At a distance of 14 yards up Market Lane was found the north face of a wall faced with blocks of tufa and chalk laid in black-speckled white mortar. The core of the wall consisted largely of re-used Roman building-material rather poorly mortaredóbits of concrete, tufa, chalk, tiles, etc., and a bearded head, of oolite, 7Ĺ in. high. The head (P1. IX, Nos. 1, 2) is of fair workmanship; it is probably a portrait of late second-century date. The wall was 6 ft. thick as preserved, but its southern face had perished. It ran westwards under the two adjacent premises. Its base was not revealed since it descended below the maximum depth of the cuttings (10 ft.). A compact wedge, sloping southwards, of Roman debris (including a CL.BR tile) lay against its southern face, and over this a great mass of blown sand, through which had been cut an old well, built of chalk, and other structures.
   The tufa- and chalk-faced wall was also found in making a manhole in Market Lane itself, and on the east side of the Lane in digging a petrol pit.
   (7) About 40 yards farther east and 23 yards up Gaol Lane, during the digging of a drain for a Labour Exchange (once Baconís, the clock-maker, and now Thomasís, the ironmonger), a mass of Roman material was found from 1Ĺ ft. from the pavement to a depth of 6 ft. It consisted of bits of Roman tiles, white and pink mortar or concrete, chunks of ragstone and tufa, a squared block of oolite, many flints and pieces of chalk, together with oyster and other shells. An eye-witness observed that the material Ďall seemed loosely mortared togetherí; at the time it was doubtful whether the remains were part of a wall or merely tipped rubbish. In the light of the subsequent discovery of the wall off Market Lane (just described) Mr. Amos now believes that the trench in Gaol Street had cut into a continuation of this wall, which was of somewhat similar construction. If this identification is, as it may well be, correct, then a length of 50 yards of this substantial, if somewhat loosely built, wall can now be inferred. It would seem to be of Roman date; its Roman materials are not determinate, but the wedge of Roman debris against it, is suggestive.
   (8) In 1923, on the south side of the Market Square, under the Duchess of Kent public-house, at the point where it adjoins the London and Westminster Bank, at the western corner of King Street, a wall or platform of masonry about 3Ĺ ft. high, built of flints, chalk, tufa and green sandstone with good mortar, was found parallel to the east wall of the Duchess of Kent, i.e. running roughly north and south to a distance of about 15 ft. back from the north face of the building. The width of the wall was not ascertained ; about 18 in. of it were shorn off in the side of the trench. The surface of the
   67 For the buildings, see Arch. Journ. xxxviii, 432, and Arch. Cant. xx, 120, both far too scanty. For the statue, see Arch. Cant. xviii, 202, with date of discovery wrong. For the ring, see Arch. Journ. xxi, 263, xxxi, , 355, and Ephemeris Epigr. iii, 146.

Previous Page        page 44        Next Page     

Back to Roman Military History Introduction      Contents Page

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be gratefully received so 
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details to localhistory@tedconnell.org.uk