In 1882, the first example (Sir Thomas Burton), it
was a small collar fitting closely to the neck, with the
letter S placed at equal distances on a stiff band of a
dark colour, the ends of which bent outwardly, and
were united by a chain.1
After the accession of Henry IV., the collar was
united sometimes by a sort of buckle, and sometimes by an enriched trefoil-shaped clasp.
SIR WILLIAM BAGOT.
SIR JOHN DRAYTON,
The pendent ornament varied in the succeeding reigns;
an apparently jewelled ring being sometimes attached
to the collar. Two of the examples in this county have
this addition: that in the church of St. Lawrence, on
the brass of Nicholas Manston, Esq., who died in 1444;
and that in Teynham church, on a figure supposed to
be of John Frogenhall, Esq., who died in the same year,
of which the following is a sketch.
1 In Boutell's Mon. Brasses and Slabs, p. 65, this collar has a
pendent; but the figure given above is taken from a rubbing of
itself, by Mr. Hussey, whose correctness may be relied on.