Aspects of Kentish Local History

News & Events
  Publications Archaeological
Local & Family
by Parish

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 55 - 1942  page 77

   Trial excavations disclosed a rectangular room (the Frigidarium) with an apse at the western end. In the latter is a plunge bath, paved with red tesserae, containing a drain, and approached by two steps descending from the Frigidarium. This was paved with a geometrical design in black and white. Adjoining, a Tepidarium and a Caldarium were exposed, the latter with its hypocaust. The former contained considerable remains of a tessellated pavement made from the local rag. Flanking these rooms to the E. is a large area of pavement, similar to the floor of the bath; this was doubtless the floor of the passage connecting other parts of the villa, as yet unexplored. The whole of the walls forming the foundations to the above rooms are built of Kentish Rag apparently quarried from the site. In these, 2 ft. 6 in. in thickness, the familiar red brick occasionally appears. Considerable remains of coloured plaster line the walls.
   The site and adjoining land to the N.E. have been viewed from the air, and as a result of this, and investigations made by test holes and exploration of the neighbouring land generally, there are strong grounds for assuming that a fairly large site has been located. There is, moreover, 


evidence, during periods of dry weather, of masonry near to the surface both adjoining to and near by, and where fragments of tile, glass and tesserae occur.
   Numerous sherds of Samian and other wares, decorated plaster, glass, ironwork, and two coins have been found.1  Certain human remains have been submitted to Sir Arthur Keith, who was of the opinion that they were for the most part Roman, and in one case pre-Roman. A human burial with an iron spear-head which was found may date from the Anglo-Saxon period, and belong to the graves which were opened up by Dr. Littledale in 1936 (Arch. Cant., XLVIII, p. 235).
   Plans of the excavated portion of the villa have been prepared by Lieut. J. G. S. Brinson, R.E. These will be invaluable in the future.
   Mr. Geering also acknowledges the valuable assistance he has received from Dr. S. G. Brade-Birks and Dr. Littledale. The site has also been visited by Canon R. U. Potts, Mrs. Gardiner, Sir Edward Harrison and Flight-Lieut. R. F. Jessup.
   1 These are reduced 3rd Brass of Fausta w. of Constantine I, and probably of Constantine II as Ceasar. --- EDITOR.

Treasure Trove at Staple

ON May 31st, 1942, while Mr. J. E. J. West, of 2 Church Cottages, Staple, was digging in his garden he unearthed a hoard of 138 silver coins which, under the law relating to Treasure Trove, had to be adjudicated upon by the British 

Museum. Mr. John Allan, the head of the Numismatic Department of the Museum, has been kind enough to supply the following list of the find.

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page

Back the Contents page       Back to Archaeologia Cantiana listing

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too