Aspects of Kentish Local History

Home
News & Events
  Publications Archaeological
Fieldwork
Local & Family
History
Information
by Parish
 


Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 1  1858  page 86

Hackington, or St Stephen's, Canterbury. Collar of SS. 
By Edward Foss, F.S.A.

to the fancy of the sculptor or the mistake of the family.1
   With regard to the chiefs of the three Courts, it is uncertain how soon they were distinguished by this collar. Of all the chiefs during the reigns of Henry IV. and Henry V., the only monument that I know of is that of Chief Justice William Gascoigne, at Harewood in Yorkshire, on which he is represented in official robes, but without the collar.
   In the reign .of Henry VI., we have the monuments of Sir William Hankford, in the church of Monkleigh, in Devonshire (1422); Sir John Juyn, in Bedclyffe church, Bristol (1440); Sir William Cheyne, in St. Benet's church in Paul's Wharf, London (1442); Sir John Fortescue, at Ebrington, in Gloucestershire (qu. 147-1?); Sir John Cottesmore, at Brightwell, in Oxfordshire (1439);all Chief Justices, in none of which is the effigy ornamented with the collar. But in the Wyke chapel of Yatton church, Somersetshire, is an uninscribed monument of a judge, the figure exhibiting a collar of SS over the judicial dress. This is assigned to Chief Justice Sir Richard Newton, who died about 1449, and there are many facts in' his history which support this conjecture, which some may think receives a sufficient answer by the exceptional introduction of the collar not yet assumed by those who held the same office. 
   In the five following reigns, from Edward IV. to Henry VIII., there is no trace of the collar on the judicial dress, although several monumental effigies of chief justices remain, as those of Chief Justices Sir Thomas Billing (1481), in Wappenham church, Northamptonshire; Sir Robert Brudenell (1531), in the church of Dean, in the same county; Sir John FitzJames (1542), in Bruton church, Somersetshire; etc. In the reign of Edward VI., however, there is an un-
   Fairholt's 'Costumes of England,'  p. 278.

Previous Page       Back to Page listings       Next page      

Back the Contents page        Back to Archaeologia Cantiana listing

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too localhistory@tedconnell.org.uk