Aspects of Kentish Local History

News & Events
  Publications Archaeological
Local & Family
by Parish

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 55 - 1942  page 34

The Clergy of St John the Baptist, Smallhythe by A.H. Taylor

28 Apr: 1736. Let a License pass, the oath of obedience to the Vicar of Tenterden being first administered pursuant to the ordinance of Archbp Warham.
                                                           W. Cant:"
   He appears to have personally performed the duty until about 1745 when the Bishop of London1 appointed him to the rectory of St. Catherine Coleman, Fenchurch Street, E.C., which he held till his decease in 1774, but he retained this chaplaincy till 1766. On his departure the services were again performed by curates, including GEORGE ADAMS, B.A., 1747-49; RICHARD MOORE, 1750-59; DANIEL CHADSLEY, LL.B., 1760-66.

1766-1812. THOMAS MORPHETT, M.A.
   Sometimes Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge. D. 1764. P. 1765. He had been Curate of Tenterden since 1764, and was now nominated to this chaplaincy by Sir Edward Knatchbull, Bart., one of the Members of Parliament for Kent, probably by reason of his holding land in Smallhythe. A John Knatchbull held land there in 1608 and the lands occupied by his descendants were stated to have been at or near a place called "Pikehill" (now known as Pickhill) on the road from Tenterden to Smallhythe. Mr. Morphett was licensed "to perform the office of Chaplain in the Chapel of Smallhithe" August 20th, 1766. He was also Vicar of Rolvenden and Rector of Newenden, and died 1812.

1812-1861. THOMAS CURTEIS, M.A.,
   Jesus College, Cambridge, B.A. 1810. Clare Hall, M.A. 1813. Ordained Deacon and licensed to the curacy of Rolvenden June 9th, 1811; ordained Priest September 12th, 1812, on being nominated to Smallhythe. He had been chosen by the householders (twenty-eight signatures) on August 2nd, 1812, and in 1831 succeeded his uncle, the Rev. Thomas Sackville Curteis, as Rector and Vicar of Sevenoaks, where he died August 2nd, 1861. During his non-residence the services were performed by various curates including J. BEALE, 1812; J.J. MONYPENNY, 1825-26; ROBERT TWIGG, M.A., 1834; THOMAS MILLES, B.A., 1847-51; and others.

   D. 1850. P. 1852. M.A. 1853. Elected Chaplain on Sunday, September 8th, 1861, but owing to not obtaining his license and other causes, was frequently absent, and occasionally no services were performed. Early in 1864 the Feoffees felt obliged to secure assistance and accordingly invited the Rev. John Pughe, Rector of Newenden, to supply the services, paying him thirty shillings each Sunday so long as required. In December of the same year Roxburgh resigned and went to Southsea.
   1 Edmund Gibson, Bishop of London, 1723-1748.

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page

Back the Contents page       Back to Archaeologia Cantiana listing

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too