1865. JOHN ALEXANDER DRAKE, M.A.
Magdalen College, Oxon, B.A. 1858, M.A. 1862. Elected by
the votes of thirty-five householders on Sunday, January 15th, 1865, but
only remained a few months, being appointed in October to the rectory of
Brockley, Bury St. Edmunds. Died 1897.
1865-1867. EDMUND LILLEY, M.A., B.D.
Worcester College, Oxon. M.A. 1833, B.D. 1851. Elected by
thirty-one votes, October 15th, 1865. The Borough of Dumbourne (which
comprises Smallhythe) was, by an order in Council dated 9 May 1866,
created a perpetual curacy and benefice by the name of Saint John the
Baptist Smalhead, otherwise Smallhythe, and the register now kept there
commences on 21st October following. Mr. Lilley tendered his resignation
in July, 1867 to date from October 10th following; an election was
accordingly ordered for September 8th to appoint his successor but this
was considered premature and a further election directed to be held
early the next year.
1868-1899. CHARLES THOMAS PIZEY, B.A.
St. Catherine's College, Cambridge. B.A. 1851. Re-elected
to this benefice by the votes of thirty-four householders on Sunday,
March 8th, 1868, and licensed May 19th. He died March 21st, 1899, and is
buried in Nunhead cemetary, London.
1899. CHARLES EDWARD PIZEY, A.K.C.
King's College, London. Son of the above, elected Sunday
afternoon, May 7th 1899, by twenty-five votes against twenty-three
recorded for the other candidate. Some difficulties arose and he did not
obtain institution to the living but resigned on November 12th of the
1900-1915. WALTER RAVEN.
A Canadian clergyman. he was the unsuccessful candidate at
the previous election, and on the resignation of Mr. Pizcy, the
Archbishop of Canterbury1 offered the
living to Mr. Raven, who accepted it and was inducted as the first Vicar
of Smallhythe on April 2nd, 1900. In 1915 he became Vicar of Ide Hill
near Sevenoaks, and remained there till 1924 when he resigned and went
to Birmingham where he died in 1931.
1915-1921. ALAN BRUCE RONALD, M.A.
Trinity College, Cambridge. Presented by the Feoffes and
formally approved by the householders on Sunday, October 24th, 1915, and
inducted February 2nd, 1916. In August, 1921, Archbishop Davidson gave
him the rectory of Smeeth, near Ashford, and in 1938 Archbishop Lang
collated him to the rectory of Biddenden.
1 Dr. Frederick Temple,