1921-1926. JOHN ALFRED WOOD, M.A.
Emanuel College, Cambridge. Elected by thirty votes on
September 4th, 1921, and collated by the Archbishop May 10th, 1922.
Towards the end of 1926 the Archbishop appointed a commission to enquire
into the desirability of uniting the benefice of Smallhythe with that of
Tenterden, and in December gave Mr. Wood the Vicarage of Kennington near
Ashford, which he resigned in 1931. Since 1936 he has been Vicar of
Wilmington, near Polegate, Sussex.
Mr. Wood was the last to hold Smallhythe as a separate
benefice and during the interregnum the services were conducted by the
clergy of surrounding parishes, principally by the Rev. W. E. Watson,
Rector of Wittersham. After prolonged consideration the union of the two
livings was accomplished by an order in Council issued in March, 1928,
by which the name of the curate to be appointed is to be submitted to
the parishioners before being licensed.
1928-1932. MORRICE LIONEL MAN, M.A.
Emanuel College, Cambridge. Vicar of Tenterden since 1924.
Instituted to the united benefice of Tenterden-with-Smallhythe, May
30th, 1928, and inducted the following day. Mr. Man was collated to the
Rectory of Chartham in October, 1932, and in March, 1942 was appointed
by the retiring Archbishop, Lord Lang, to a Six Preachership in the
Cathedral. During his
incumbency the Curates of Smallhythe were:
April, 1929 - April, 1930, T. PEARMAN STEVENS,
M.A., resigned. Died 1936.
December, 1930 - April, 1933, GEOFFREY LUMMIS,
A.K.C., P.C. of North Bemerton, Salisbury, since 1938.
1933- . DOUGLAS WILLIAM WINN CARMICHAEL,
Christ's College, Cambridge. Vicar of Tenterden-with-
Smallhythe, January, 1933. Inducted to Smallhythe January 29th. Curates
August, 1933 - April, 1935, MAX GORDON BYRANT,
B.D., Vicar of Headcorn since 1940.
May, 1935 - March, 1937, FRANK LARRISTON
ELLIOTT, Vicar of Shepherdswell since 1937.
May, 1937 - . RAYMOND CHARLES PENGILLEY.
Smallhythe may also be remembered as the scene of the
closing days of Dame Ellen Terry, for it was here, in her fine old black
and white Tudor house standing by the entrance to the Isle of Oxney,
that she passed away on July 21st, 1928. Three days later the little
church was filled to overflowing at the funeral service, after which the
body was taken to London for cremation.