The Assisae of 1252, ETC.
William de Winchester (probably to be identified with
William de Wynton in the Canterbury Profession List) died in 1288. Henry
is no doubt the "Dominus H. Sturei" who still held office in
1253, the "Henry Stordy" of the List.1 William and
Henry were companion-monks of Turgitius de Ostede, Carpentarius in 1254
jointly with Dominus Ricardus --- the last named may have been Richard
de Wynchepe, sometimes Sacrist, who became Prior of Dover in 1268.2
Accounts of 1317-1341.
The Treasurer of the Monastery in 1317/18 who paid the
wages of Simon the Glazier, was Alanus Oysell, professed in 1289.3
Two and sometimes three monks were of the Treasury annually and arranged
the payment of wages; hence the entry "per Thesaurarios" which
occurs in 1334.
Earthquake of 1382.
John of Goodnyston (1349-1397), Sub-Prior,4 had
charge of repairs after the earthquake, including the iron screen of the
organ. The rebuilding of the north side of the Infirmary Chapel
presumably included the nave only, for the north window of the Chancel
still exists, and is a fine specimen of Kentish tracery of the same
period as the great window of St. Anselm's Chapel, built in 1336. The
Cloister wall was damaged on the eastern range from the door of the
Chapter House to the door of the crypt beneath the Dormitory, then as
now marked by a fine Norman arch and columns. The new roof,
lead-covered, beyond the Martyrdom may have been that of the building
extending into the Slype. The restored Malt-hall and Mill were both at
Prior's Account of 1411 and Prior's Livery Lists.
To Mr. Blore's interesting notes it may be added that
Thomas Rudham appears among the Freemen of Canterbury by virtue of his
marriage in 1401 to Joan atte Wade, a waxchandler's daughter.